PAVE Schools, Inc. (PAVE) prepares Kindergarten to 8th grade students to thrive in competitive high schools and four-year colleges. PAVE provides its students with a rigorous academic program and a community built on the organization’s core values of Perseverance, Achievement, Vibrance, and Excellent character. PAVE supports the establishment and operation of:
PAVE Red Hook seeks a Special Education Certified teacher who will be a Middle School Intervention Specialist. This person will work with PAVE staff to ensure that all student learning needs are met, and that students are moving towards proficiency. The Intervention Specialist is responsible for ensuring that all Special Education students make significant academic gains through both in-class and out-of-class support. With his/her team, the Intervention Specialist will help manage administrative/regulatory aspects of the Special Education Program and serve as a small group academic teacher as well as a whole-class co-teacher in our inclusive classroom settings. The Intervention Specialist will report to the Learning Support Coordinator and the Principal.
CLEAR AND CONSISTENT HIGH EXPECTATIONS IN A STRUCTURED ENVIRONMENT: PAVE team members believe firmly that all children can achieve at high levels, both academically and behaviorally, in a positive and structured school environment. PAVE team members demonstrate a willingness to hold themselves and others accountable to high expectations/excellence at all times and do not accept or make excuses when things get hard.
CULTIVATING A GROWTH MINDSET: PAVE team members are hungry for opportunities to learn and grow professionally, no matter how effective one may be in his/her practice. They have an ability to accept and implement feedback for real-time improvement and thrive in the intense environment of a high-performing charter school network.
THE TIMELESS NATURE OF CORE SKILLS + CONTENT: Closing the achievement gap is no small feat, and PAVE team members work hard to realize our mission and do what is best for our kids at all times. We believe that the bellwhethers of life-long success are timeless - the abilities to read and comprehend sophisticated texts, communicate complex ideas, and compute and problem-solve at a high level. PAVE team members believe that teachers should facilitate and scholars should do the heavy lifting when it comes to learning. We believe that ELA and math are at the core of everything we do.
• Teach daily instructional lessons with high behavioral and academic expectations to students within caseload
• Mastery of and enthusiasm for Middle School content
• Serve as a co-teacher of Middle School classes to more effectively support the learning abilities of students with high needs
• Work closely with PAVE teachers to differentiate curriculum, help create effective accommodations, and modify curriculum when appropriate
• Utilize data collected through a myriad of sources to drive instruction and intervention
• Ensure that all work with students with special needs is aligned with the school's academic goals for student achievement as well as the individual needs of the student
• Collaborate with the CSE, PAVE teachers and other Intervention Specialists to write IEPs & revise/update existing IEP's annually
• Manage paperwork related to caseload (e.g. IEPs, 504s, Child Study Team notes, Records of Accommodations, IEP Progress Reports, etc.)
• Enforce school-wide systems and procedures both in and out of the general classroom setting
• Continually communicate with students and families regarding academic and behavior performance and progress
• Maintain strong, professional relationships with colleagues in an environment where listening, critical thought, respectful debate, and compromise is welcomed and essential
• Possess an entrepreneurial spirit that reflects an openness to change, a willingness to problem-solve, and an interest in developing new ideas & programs
• Serve as a homeroom teacher and student advisor
• Perform other duties as deemed necessary by the Principal
• At least two years of teaching experience with evidence of driving student achievement gains; experience in a special education setting highly preferred
• A commitment to working with underserved, urban youth
• New York certification in special education or in process of obtaining certification
• The ability to speak Spanish preferred but not required
• A strong commitment to PAVE’s mission and vision
• An uncompromising belief that all students can learn
• A relentless work ethic and a high degree of patience to push through challenges
• Bachelor’s Degree (required), Master’s Degree (preferred)
PAVE Schools, Inc. does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, and clients.