PAVE Schools, Inc. (PAVE) prepares Kindergarten to 8th grade students to thrive in competitive high schools and four-year colleges. PAVE provides its students with a rigorous academic program and a community built on the organization’s core values of Perseverance, Achievement, Vibrance, and Excellent character. PAVE supports the establishment and operation of:
PAVE Red Hook seeks a Special Education Certified teacher who will be a Middle School Intervention Specialist. This person will work with PAVE staff to ensure that all student learning needs are met, and that students are moving towards proficiency. The Intervention Specialist is responsible for ensuring that all Special Education students make significant academic gains through both in-class and out-of-class support. With his/her team, the Intervention Specialist will help manage administrative/regulatory aspects of the Special Education Program and serve as a small group academic teacher as well as a whole-class co-teacher in our inclusive classroom settings. The Intervention Specialist will report to the Learning Support Coordinator and the Principal.
Our Core Values
Perseverance: We believe that reflection and refinement is key towards continuously growing and improving. We give and receive direct feedback and hold each other accountable. We are solutions minded, positive and allow ourselves to be vulnerable as we persevere to get better.
Achievement: We set ambitious goals and work relentlessly to attain them. We understand the key to student academic growth is great teaching; we obsess over the art and science of teaching timeless content well. We use data to drive all our decisions and measure our success.
Vibrance: We share gratitude with our colleagues, students and families. We recognize that complaining saps our collective strength and remain optimistic in the face of challenges. We focus on the joy of our practice and recognize the accomplishments of others. We believe that good humor and generosity of spirit are key to a positive culture.
Excellent Character: We always assume the best and take concerns to the source. We maintain emotional constancy and disciplined language in all situations. We treat all in our community with honesty
• Teach daily instructional lessons with high behavioral and academic expectations to students within caseload
• Mastery of and enthusiasm for Middle School content
• Serve as a co-teacher of Middle School classes to more effectively support the learning abilities of students with high needs
• Work closely with PAVE teachers to differentiate curriculum, help create effective accommodations, and modify curriculum when appropriate
• Utilize data collected through a myriad of sources to drive instruction and intervention
• Ensure that all work with students with special needs is aligned with the school's academic goals for student achievement as well as the individual needs of the student
• Collaborate with the CSE, PAVE teachers and other Intervention Specialists to write IEPs & revise/update existing IEP's annually
• Manage paperwork related to caseload (e.g. IEPs, 504s, Child Study Team notes, Records of Accommodations, IEP Progress Reports, etc.)
• Enforce school-wide systems and procedures both in and out of the general classroom setting
• Continually communicate with students and families regarding academic and behavior performance and progress
• Maintain strong, professional relationships with colleagues in an environment where listening, critical thought, respectful debate, and compromise is welcomed and essential
• Possess an entrepreneurial spirit that reflects an openness to change, a willingness to problem-solve, and an interest in developing new ideas & programs
• Serve as a homeroom teacher and student advisor
• Perform other duties as deemed necessary by the Principal
• Two years of teaching experience with evidence of driving student achievement gains; experience in a special education setting highly preferred
• A commitment to working with underserved, urban youth
• New York certification in special education or in process of obtaining certification
• The ability to speak Spanish preferred but not required
• A strong commitment to PAVE’s mission and vision
• An uncompromising belief that all students can learn
• A relentless work ethic and a high degree of patience to push through challenges
• Bachelor’s Degree (required), Master’s Degree (preferred)
PAVE Schools, Inc. does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, and clients.