PAVE Schools, Inc. (PAVE) prepares Kindergarten to 8th grade students to thrive in competitive high schools and four-year colleges. PAVE provides its students with a rigorous academic program and a community built on the organization’s core values of Perseverance, Achievement, Vibrance, and Excellent character. PAVE supports the establishment and operation of:
PAVE Red Hook seeks a Middle School Dean of Students responsible for ensuring that high behavioral expectations are consistently communicated and maintained throughout the school. The Dean of Students will work with the Instructional Leadership Team, teachers, parents, students, and outside instructional consultants. Reporting directly to the Middle School Principal, the Dean of Students will establish a strong achievement centered culture; ensure the functionality of school-wide systems that support student achievement, safety, efficiency and PAVE’s four core values; and ensure that the high expectations we have for our scholars are maintained in each classroom and by all teachers at PAVE. The Dean of Students will foster expectations around what is possible for children growing up in the Red Hook community.
Our Core Values
Perseverance: We believe that reflection and refinement is key towards continuously growing and improving. We give and receive direct feedback and hold each other accountable. We are solutions minded, positive and allow ourselves to be vulnerable as we persevere to get better.
Achievement: We set ambitious goals and work relentlessly to attain them. We understand the key to student academic growth is great teaching; we obsess over the art and science of teaching timeless content well. We use data to drive all our decisions and measure our success.
Vibrance: We share gratitude with our colleagues, students and families. We recognize that complaining saps our collective strength and remain optimistic in the face of challenges. We focus on the joy of our practice and recognize the accomplishments of others. We believe that good humor and generosity of spirit are key to a positive culture.
Excellent Character: We always assume the best and take concerns to the source. We maintain emotional constancy and disciplined language in all situations. We treat all in our community with honesty
• Work closely with the Principal to establish a positive and achievement-oriented culture which reflects PAVE’s core values
• Observe classrooms to assist staff in maintaining our high level of expectations, consistent culture and addressing behavior concerns
• Coach teachers as needed to establish a strong classroom community that has clear expectations and routines
• Lead professional development focused on classroom management, school culture, parent involvement, discipline, and vibrance
• Ensure the consistency and quality of the use of the behavior referral system and ladder of consequences attached to the system
• Serves as the point-person for dealing with behavior crisis-intervention, acute behavior issues, and attendance/arrival
• Lead Community Meeting and other school-wide culture building activities
• Work with all teachers to ensure that they are in constant communication with parents
• Monitors behavioral pull-out and in-school suspensions as well as detention
• Coordinate and manage after-school programming and other enrichment activities as needed
• Supervises breakfast, recess, lunch, transitions, and dismissal
• Maintains accurate student discipline records, documenting all conferences, suspensions, discipline referrals, and phone calls in PAVE’s student information system
• Monitors behavior on the school bus and during meal times, ensuring that students meet the behavior expectations and school culture standards both inside and outside the classroom
• Serve as an active member of the instructional leadership team to support school-wide success
• Serve as a mentor to the Parent Advisory Board
• Teach on an as needed basis
• Perform other duties as outlined by the Principals
• Monitor merit/demerit system, and school store
• A strong commitment to PAVE’s mission and vision
• 3-5 years teaching experience in a high-performing school
• Excellent classroom management skills
• Excellent communication and relationship-building skills
• Bachelor’s Degree required, Masters preferred
PAVE Schools, Inc. does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, and clients.